A New Way explainer

The aim of this puzzle: Use .pop() to take the last element off an array, and then edit it and use .push() to put it back.

Walkthrough of the solution: The 1st line will import an array called travelToCities from the grasshopper.travel module. The items in this array are objects, and each one has 4 properties: destination, transportMode, cost, and country.

The last object in the array is “popped” of and stored in a variable called atlantaTravel. This is the object you added in the previous lesson. Then the transportMode property is changed to 'hovercraft'.

Now that the object has been edited, you can add it back to the end of the array using .push(). You’ll need to use travelToCities.push(atlantaTravel) to do that.

The next code stores the last element in the array to a variable called last. This will be the same as the atlantaTravel object since you just pushed it onto the array.

Sample code solution:
(Tap below to reveal)

import { travelToCities } from 'grasshopper.travel';

let atlantaTravel = travelToCities.pop();
atlantaTravel.transportMode = 'hovercraft';

travelToCities.push(atlantaTravel);

let last = travelToCities[travelToCities.length - 1];

console.log(last.destination);
console.log(last.transportMode);

JavaScript Concepts: console.log(), Data Structures (arrays, objects), import, Indexing, .length(), .pop(), Variable Scope (let)

Don’t get it… someone help

@discobot help I don’t understand this puzzle.

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

@discobot display help

I currently know how to do the following things:

@discobot start new user

Starts one of the following interactive narratives: new user, advanced user.

@discobot roll 2d6

:game_die: 3, 6

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you — Princess Diana

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: You may rely on it

I did not learn anything here.
I simply copied an image of the answer, split
Screened it and copied the answer.

I would like to understand what I had done so as not to be incompetent when I face such a problem again.

Someone please explain or point me to a layman explanation…

Hey there, happy to help!

Think of the array in this puzzle as a row of books on a bookshelf. In this lesson, you’re going to take the last book down, change a chapter in the book, and then put it back on the shelf in the same place you found it.

travelToCities is an array. Think of it as the row of books. .pop() is used to take the last element off of an array.

Take a look at this line:

atlantaTravel = travelToCities.pop()

This line is taking the last element out of the array travelToCities, and saving it to a variable called atlantaTravel. This is like taking the last book off of the bookshelf, and then saving it to a variable so we can edit it.

The element we took out of the array and saved to atlantaTravel is an object with the properties destination, transportMode, cost, and country. We are going to change the property transportMode with this line:

atlantaTravel.transportMode = 'hovercraft'

Now that we have made the changes we wanted to make, we need to put the element back into the array travelToCities. We will use .push() to do this. .push() takes the element you want to add inside its parentheses, and sticks it on to the end of the array you call it on. This line of code says, “Take the variable atlantaTravel, and add it to the end of the travelToCities array.”

travelToCities.push(atlantaTravel)

We have now put the book back on the bookshelf.

Now let’s take a look at our work, by using console.log() to print the element we just put back in the array.

The line let last = travelToCities[travelToCities.length-1] is a way for us to save the last element in the array to a variable, so we have a shorter way of referring to it in the console.log() statements.

Without this, our console.log() statements would look like console.log(travelToCities[travelToCities.length - 1].destination), which would look pretty messy. Saving the last element in the array to a variable called last makes the code look cleaner and more readable.

We then use this shortcut in our console.log() statements:
console.log(last.destination) will print out the destination property of the element we just added back to the array.
console.log(last.transportMode) will print out the transportMode property of the element we just added.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any more questions I will be happy to answer them!

-Ben