Questions about next steps

I’m almost done with fundamentals II. I’m not that interested in animation. Should I take those anyway?

Will Grasshopper offer more courses in the future?

Where should I go next to continue my studies?

I would encourage you to go through the Animations courses as well – no harm in taking a look. The puzzles teach concepts that can be applied to more than animation. You’ll create your own functions including arrow functions, chain function calls, use event handlers and boolean control.

Fundamentals II will have new puzzles added to it soon, and there are plans to add more courses after that.

If you’re looking to try some other places to study, Heather has a post here you should check out.

–Frankie

Hi Frankie,

Thanks for the response.

A final question: why is google doing this? What is their reason for creating grasshopper?

And why JavaScript?

-Monroe

There’s a nice little paragraph on the about page that explains why Grasshopper was created:

Grasshopper was created by a team of passionate coders from Google’s workshop for experimental products, Area 120. Coding is becoming such an essential skill, and we want to make it possible for everyone to learn even when life gets busy. We made Grasshopper to help folks like you get into coding in a fun and easy way. And we put Grasshopper on a phone so you can turn your commute or waiting in line into a learning moment. We hope you like it and that it helps you embark or continue your journey in learning to code.

Here’s an excerpt from the FAQ about why JavaScript:

Will Grasshopper expand to teaching other programming languages?

Grasshopper currently teaches using the popular programming language JavaScript, used by more than 70% of professional developers. Grasshopper uses JavaScript to teach fundamental programming concepts that are universal to almost all programming languages. Right now, Grasshopper is focusing on deepening our students’ understanding of these fundamental coding concepts, and we don’t yet have plans to expand our support to other programming languages.

–Frankie