Too much Cookie Cutter carrying

The interactive feature and game mechanics reward system progression makes learning code syntax fun and not booring. I can find no other app that approaches learning Java in this way which is a credit to the devs and their design team, this should be the benchmark template for learning all coding. For the beginner that has progressed through the exercises, there is a but how do you do this in the learning curve. I specifically refer to the Playground section of the app. When trying to apply examples codes from the exercises they do not work, because there is missing libraries inherent and hidden in the exercises but not explained and taught when applying learnt content in the Playground section. When I go to the Playground section it seems all that I’ve learnt is ultimately nothing, replicating any of the exercises is daunting without any real resource in the forum addressing this issue.

1 Like

Hi @remo_conan,

Thanks so much for your feedback — hugely appreciated!

You’re right, our playground is a little behind on features compared to what our courses are teaching (for example it’s missing the whole D3 Library, which means you can’t replicated lessons from Animations or Animations II). While we work on fixing this, we have created a “workaround” playground for Animations.

Another issue you may have encountered is that sometimes there is a little bit of hidden code in our puzzles, so you can’t fully replicate them in the playground without also adding that hidden code. We have plans on surfacing this hidden code in all our puzzles that have it, so watch this space!

We also have plans to allow you to export your code from puzzles, this will allow you to see the little additional code as well as enable you to access your code from more platforms (i.e. a laptop).

Thanks again for your feedback, it is very useful in helping us shape our product direction!
Heather :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Heather,

Excited for these features to be implemented, will help me learn this coding language a little easier using your learning-coding-through-fun platform strategy.

Your approach to deliver this style of learning will greatly benefit younger generations that will acquire this technology as a new language equally as valuable alongside the traditional national spoken languages. Keep up the good work, because older 1980s generations like me who finds things difficult to learn was able to grasp your applications functionality with reasonable comprehension.

This application’s template has potential for other coding languages so there is a considerable opportunity in your futures to turn this into more than a simple application. Other apps in the Playstore do not compare to yours in criteria that matter. Most of those applications I have looked at and installed to just as quickly uninstall because they simply focus on delivering traditional text and paragraph memorisation learning, which is outdated and unsurprisingly lacking uniqueness and creativity.

THANKS for your response

1 Like

Hi,
How can I reproduce all these exercises on my laptop ?
I import D3.JS libraires but I still have issues, for example, the function drawBox() doesn’t exist in the D3 library.

Can you send me the hidden code ?

Please let me know.

Regards,
Franck

Hey @reunionf,

drawBox(), drawBoxes() and pickRandom() are custom Grasshopper functions we’ve defined to work effectively in the app.

If you have a look at the puzzle drawSquare in the Animations course, you’ll see how you can create a similar function yourself — I’d suggest trying it in the Animations playground we’ve set up, which you can do on your laptop.

H :slight_smile:

1 Like